So you’re here because you want to buy Flank Steak from Costco. Maybe you’ve never had one and want to give it a try. Or maybe you’re searching for a delicious flank steak recipe. Either way, we got you!
In this article, we’ll give you an in-depth exploration of Costco’s flank steak. And, of course, we wouldn’t leave you hanging without some mouth-watering recipes.
So, read on and discover whether you should buy your flank steak from Costco and why!
Is Flank Steak a Steak? Let’s Know First
Technically speaking, flank steak is not a steak at all. This famous beef cut is produced by using the rear muscles in a cow’s belly. It’s not cut into small pieces. Rather, it’s cooked as a whole. Each flank steak is around a foot long and an inch thick.
The distinctive characteristic of this type of steak is the apparent direction of the meat’s cross-grain. Flank steak is an extremely lean form of meat with little fat. But this does not make it any less flavorful!
It has a rough texture. But it’s extremely tender and juicy when it’s cooked the right way. One option is to grill it at a high heat. You can also slow-cook it for the best results or use to make ground beef. The possibilities are endless!
What Options for Flank Steak do you Get at Costco?
You get 2 options of flank steak beef at Costco.
- First is 12 lb, USDA Choice Grade Flank Steak at Costcobusinessdelivery for $119 and $9.9 per lb.
- Second is Kirkland Signature USDA Choice Grade Flank Steak, available via Instacart. It costs you $14.92 per lb, and the package has about 4.23 lb packaging.
Both options are non-tenderized good, quality meats.
Why Should You Get Flank Steak at Costco?
Costco’s USDA Choice flank steak is tenderized to perfection. The boneless primal cut offers exceptional versatility.
You can use it for multiple events and meals. You can serve it with some yummy salsa. You can also pour a delectable chile-based chimichurri sauce over the steak.
Costco sells its flank steak in bulk. This way, you get more beef at a lesser price! One pack of Costco beef flank steak contains 12 pounds of beef. You can get it for $119 at the Costco Business Delivery website or your local Costco store.
Now that’s a steal if you ask us!
Costco’s flank steak is not only delicious, but it’s also affordable. The cost at Costco is cheaper than the market rate. Moreover, flank steak is the best meat cut to be marinated. It soaks up a marinade, unlike any other cut of beef!
Why is Costco’s flank steak so popular?
Costco is famous for its beef and steak variety.
But what makes Flank Steak a best-seller?
Well, the answer lies in its quality– Costco flank steak isn’t blade tenderized.
Costco makes sure only to sell top-quality meats for their steaks, though at cheap prices. Usually, Costco tenderizes a variety of steaks, including tri-tip, beef drop flap, New York strip, and ribeye. The process is also referred to as needling. It involves mechanically puncturing the steak.
Blade tenderization helps make steaks soft. However, it also raises the risk of bacterial contamination. It’s why Costco advises cooking its steaks to an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
Fortunately, Costco does not tenderize its flank steaks using a blade currently. This allows you to cook it to a safe medium-rare temperature.
Pros of Costco flank steak
As always, we have gone all out and created a list of pros for you. Read on!
- Costco’s flank steak is affordable.
- It’s made from high-quality beef.
- Versatile cut-you can cook it in different ways.
- It comes in large, vacuum-sealed packages that are perfect for storage.
- You can buy flank steak in bulk from Costco.
- It has a delicious flavor.
- You can marinade it to your liking.
Cons of Costco flank steak
All pros come with some cons. Here’s a list of cons you must consider before buying flank steak from Costco.
- It’s sold in bulk. That’s why it might not be suitable for a single person.
- Difficult to prepare
- It requires a lot of cooking time.
- Tough to chew
- It needs a lot of marinating to get rid of its strong beefy taste.
USDA Prime Or Choice Grade Flank Steak, Which is Sold at Costo?
The meat marbling decides the quality. Costco sells USDA Choice grade flank steak. These grades indicate the quality of the steak. The highest amount of marbling makes the Prime grade of beef. It’s more tender and juicy than Choice-grade beef.
The difference between Choice and Prime is significant for steaks with high marbling. Costco’s flank steak, however, is extremely lean. Therefore, there’s a difference in quality between Choice and Prime–Choice grade flank steak is less expensive.
How Should You Grill Costco Flank Steak?
We care about our beloved readers. That’s why we present to you a simple and delicious recipe to grill your flank steak.
Here’s what you’ll need to prepare your beef
- Costco flank steak (two pounds)
- Salt and black pepper for seasoning (to taste)
- Olive oil (1/4 cup)
- Vinegar (1/4 cup)
- Soy sauce (1/4 cup)
- Minced garlic (two cloves)
- The first thing you’ll want to do is to tenderize the steak. To do this, prepare your marinade by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl except the steak.
- Then, take a large plastic bag and put your flank steak inside it.
- Next, pour the marinade over the flank steak. Close the resealable bag.
- Rub or shake the bag so the meat is covered in the marinade. Let it rest for 12-24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Remove the refrigerator and wash it to remove all the tenderizer, aka marinade.
- Dry the flank steak using paper towels.
- Spread a layer of your favorite seasonings on it.
- Put the meat on the grill and cook on high heat for about 6-7 minutes. After that, flip the steak and cook for another 6-7 minutes.
- Check the steak’s internal temperature with a meat thermometer. It should be 130-135°F (54-57°C).
- Finally, take the steak off the grill. Give it some rest. This will allow all the juices in the meat to spread.
- Serve, slice, and enjoy!
How to Cook Costco Flank Steak in an Air Fryer?
Air frying is a healthy way to cook your meats and vegetables. And it’s perfect for cooking a flank steak! The flank is extremely lean, so you don’t have to worry about dripping. Let’s get started!
Here’s what you’ll need
- Two pounds of flank steak
- 1 cup soy sauce to tenderize the flank steak
- Salt and black pepper to season the steak (1 tbsp each)
- First things first, tenderize the flank steak. For this purpose, apply salt and soya sauce to the meat (they are great tenderizers).
- Cover it with aluminum foil or put it in a resealable bag.
- Refrigerate it for up to 12-24 hours.
- Once it’s tenderized, take the steak out and wash it to remove all the tenderizer by washing it.
- Then, put the steak on a cutting board and pat dry it using paper towels.
- Apply dry seasoning and herbs o your choice to the flank steak.
- Turn your air fryer settings for 10 minutes at 425°F (218°C).
- Put the steak on the tray and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Take the steak out. Flip it and cook for another 5 minutes.
- The internal temperature should be 130°F (54°C).
- Before serving, let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Voila! Your delicious flank steak is ready.
How Should You Cut/Slice Costco’s Flank Steak for Serving?
If you want your flank steak to be tender and juicy, you’ve got to cut it right. The key is to slice against the grain, which means going in the opposite direction of those muscle fibers.
You see, the grain of a flank steak runs in long lines from end to end. If you cut parallel to those lines, you’ll end up with long, chewy strands of meat that are hard to bite into. But if you go against the grain, it’s a game-changer. So here’s what you do:
First, figure out which way the grain is going.
Grab a sharp knife and slice the steak into thin pieces perpendicular to the grain.
And here’s a little tip: after you cook the steak, let it rest for a few minutes. This helps the juices spread out evenly, making it easier to slice.
What can I serve a flank steak with?
Nothing’s more appetizing than a perfectly cooked flank steak! But the dilemma is this: what to serve it with? Of course, you can eat it by itself. But it wouldn’t be as fulfilling, now would it? Don’t fret! Once you’ve cooked your flank steak, you can:
- Serve it with rice and beans
- Use it to make tacos
- Make pasta with it
- Add it to make ramen
- Serve it with salad
- Use it in bread rolls
- Serve it with chimichurri sauce
- Serve it with mixed veggies
- Make sandwiches with it
- Serve it with roasted potatoes
Now that you know Costco’s flank steak, you’re ready to try it out for yourself. Costco not only offers you affordable prices but also top-quality flank steak!
With Costco’s flank steak, you can level up your culinary experience. So, head to Costco today. Get your hands on its mouth-watering flank steak.
What are you waiting for?
universitygrill.net is a participant in the Amazon Associate program and will earn from qualifying purchases.